Wednesday, May 17, 2006

goodness over dominance

ow. the cheese! maybe I should eat breakfast. 

it occured to me that the classic prayer postures --- head down, palms together, elbows resting on some surface --- that bowing towards Mecca bowing looks (to my eye trained not at all in the Islamic traditions) very much like child's pose. 

that, along with remembering something from The Screwtape Letters-- about posture (and prostration?) being important in prayer. 

That said, my back's acting up again, and the desktop devotions came to me. 

a few side notes: 
1) I'm not sure if Bush is the antichrist, but, if you're the least bit familiar with the antichrist mythos, 21st century american imperialist christianity sure has the smell of it. 
2) on spirittuality vs religion -- one screams over-soft and passive-aggressive -- the other screams outwardliy manipulative, directly controlling, and has enough knee-jerk connotations to cripple a centipede.  Despite that, I think I'll go with "Personal Religion" over "spirituality"
3) Go check out Penn Jilette's very well thought essay on "This I Believe" about athiesm. It makes me all weepy-eyed recollecting it. It shows that Athiesm can make a damn fine cup of co^h^h^h personal religion. 
4) Todo: go back and replace my ctrl-h's with strikeouts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that position is also called "fart position #2"