Friday, February 24, 2006

the big shoe collection hypothesis

(if this gets crossposted by anyone I know, they will pay)

------  the big women's shoes hypothesis ----

(narrative omitted to protect unnamed co-conspirators)

Why do they buy so many damned shoes? 

Revised: Why do people (clearly not all women, and clearly not 100% of women) that buy a lot of shoes do so?

The inspiration was when the question was paraphrased to: Why do they need so many shoes, while we have maybe four pair? 


We (those without a shoe habit) have maybe one pair for each utilitarian category (N shoes). They (gender-neutral but with a monkey on their back, or foot, or each foot) have shoes for each style (M styles) , possibly duplicated for each utilitarian category (N uses) --> (M times N shoes).

But wait, there's more. Why have four pair of seemingly identical shoes?

1) Because they're the best shoe ever, but was discontinued.  

2) Because I needed a pair of shoes that looked like this, but they aren't comfy, so I had to buy this other pair because they look almost the same but I can actually wear them. 

3) They're not the same. You just don't get the difference.

----
*sigh* I have the fear. the fear of catching flack . the fear of coming across as inarticulate. the fear of being crushed under a mountain of seemingly identical shoes.

maybe its time for breakfast.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my love. you may bitch about my shoe habit unreseveredly. i totally deserve it...

drinknerd said...

*whew*

zombiegrrrl said...

I have about 15 pairs of black shoes alone. I think the majority of mine are "dress" shoes I never wear. Some acquired for work. Others acquired to replace the uncomfortable shoes acquired for work. Most haven't been worn since I stopped having to wear suits to work. There are probably 4-5 pairs I wear with any regularity - and that includes gym shoes. Mostly it's a legacy thing. But... I'm always up for a nice new kick-ass pair of black boots. ;)

And P.S. YAY! You're blogging regularly now!

Anonymous said...

I have completely lost the moral high ground to bitch about shoes. Not that I ever would, because it's really not in my nature and I understand the collector's disease.

There was one time where I dug back in one of our closets and it was like Shoe Killing Fields. I asked my lovelier half about it and I got an icy look. "I'll deal with it later." "Later?" "Just *later*." I wisely got the hint and left it at that.

It cuts both ways, though. My lovelier half has wisely not thought to mess with The Dork Closet.

Anonymous said...

Honesty compels me to point out that the game collection follows *exactly* the same formula as to buying pattern:

- collect for utilitarian category (auction game, dungeon crawl, connection game, wargame)
- collect for different "styles", aesthetic, or theme, possibly duplicated for utilitarian category
- come up with half-hearted justifications for purchases:

1) This game is out of print and is supposedly very fun.
2) Because while I already have a pirate game that I think is really great, I need this other pirate game because more people will actually play it.
3) This game is a *blind* auction, while this other game is a reverse auction... they're different, OK?